Language : English / Français

Mont-Dauphin, a fortress by Vauban
on UNESCO's World Heritage list

After the the Duke of Savoy invaded the area in 1692, King Louis XIV's chief military engineer Vauban rushed to fortify the Alpine border. He chose a strategic rocky outcrop at a hub of valleys to build from scratch a fortress he named Mont-Dauphin as a tribute to the crown prince. Mont-Dauphin lost much of its strategic interest after the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713 moved the border further away.
The fortress was never in battle and was not damaged by war, therefore offering a preserved insight into 17th-century military architecture and garrison life. In 2008, 12 of Vauban's most représentative fortifications were placed on UNESCO's World Heritage list. Among them, Mont-Dauphin was chosen as a dramatic example of a fortified mountain place.
Among Mont-Dauphin's buildings, you may visit the Arsenal, the main gate, the poudrière (powder magazine), the échauguette (watchtower), lunette d'Arçon (forward fortification), the Rochambeau barracks, the unfinished church.
→ See photos in large size